Notice of Funding Opportunity:
Virginia House Grant Program
In recognition of Susan Dewey’s 25 years of service as CEO, Virginia Housing will be funding five home builds throughout the state in partnership with Habitat for Humanity of Virginia. The Virginia House Grant will assist five Habitat for Humanity affiliates in the new construction of a single-family home designated to assist a partner family in the improvement of their shelter conditions. Grant funds will support the construction costs and or subsidize the loan cost so that the buyer can qualify for a mortgage for the home.
- 501(c) 3 non-profit organizations in good standing with Habitat for Humanity International.
- Habitat for Humanity Affiliate located in Virginia or with a history of building in Virginia.
- Did not receive a Virginia House grant in the previous round of funding.
- In the prior twelve months applicants with an existing Virginia Housing line of credit must not be late on payment obligations
- Applicant has site control
- Houses must be sold to homebuyers who earn 30% to 60% of AMI
- Build completion by 12/31/24.
- Eligible expenses on or after 7/1/23 may be reimbursed; however, no more than 20% of construction costs occuring prior to award announcement will be reimbursed.
The approved organization must comply with the Virginia Housing Habitat Build Program Handbook. Click the link below for a detailed explanation of the scope of services allowed under this funding opportunity, disbursement and reporting requirements.
Affiliates seeking funding should apply to Virginia Housing’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) using Virginia Housing’s Grants Management System at https://vhdagrants.com/. For questions concerning this program or assistance with application submission, contact Frank Curbeira, Strategic Housing Officer, at (804) 343-5818.
- Proposed Budget- Proposed budgets should be based on actual construction and loan cost
- 501(c)3 determination letter
- Affiliation with the Habitat for Humanity International
- Site Control
- Construction Schedule
This is a competitive grant. Virginia Housing will prioritize the following factors
- Affiliate capacity and ability to ensure a timely completion of the build
- Documented outreach to support increased homeownership opportunities for BIPOC homeowners
- Grant selection to serve multiple regions of the state; Eastern Virginia, Northern Virginia, Central Virginia, Southside Virginia and Southwest Virginia
- Innovation in construction to include but not limited to modular construction, sustainable building methods, or building on a Land Trust.
Up to five affiliates will be selected for awards. The selected affiliates will receive a Grant Award Notification (GAN) and a Grant Agreement if approved for funds. The affiliates must return the Grant Agreement to Virginia Housing with signature by an authorized representative.
All applicants have the option to submit a request at Grants@VirginiaHousing.com for a debriefing within thirty (30) days of approval or denial.
January 5, 2024
WebEx Presentation Application Overview
Janary 15, 2024
Application Due Date & Time
February 15, 2024; 11:59 PM
Award Announcements (subject to change)
March 15, 2024