Funding Opportunity Announcement – May 2021
Virginia Rent Relief Program: Landlord Program
The Virginia Rent Relief Program (RRP): Landlord Program is designed to support and ensure housing stability across the Commonwealth during the coronavirus pandemic. This program allows landlords or their authorized agents to apply directly to Virginia Housing for eligible rent relief on behalf of their tenants.
- Please Note: The Department of Housing and Community Development is administering the Virginia Rent Relief Program: Tenant Program. This program allows a tenant to apply for rental assistance through DHCD’s Grantee. For more information on the tenant program please visit, www.applications.deval.us/.
- Households may participate in the tenant program or landlord program but cannot participate in both programs.
Awards may include 100% of rent payments past due beginning April 1, 2020 and onward. Financial assistance is a lump sum payment with opportunity for renewal based on availability of funding and the household’s need for additional assistance and continued eligibility. Award guidelines are defined by the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program and the American Rescue Plan. Tenants are only eligible for up to 15 months of rent assistance under the funding source ERA.
Landlord or Authorized agents seeking funding should apply to Virginia Housing’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) using Virginia Housing’s Grants Management System at https://vhdagrants.com/. For questions concerning this program or assistance with application submission, email RentRelief@virginiahousing.com.
Applications will be reviewed by an internal committee, and final recommendations will be made for funding. RRP payments are subject to program funding availability.
- Landlord W9 (Virginia specific form)
- Virginia Housing’s ACH Form
- Tenant Ledger showing rent and associated Fees
- Tenant household income verification
- RRP Tenant Application includes
- Landlord Agreement
- Tenant Agreement
- Tenant Certification
- Landlord /Authorized Agent Certification
- Applicants must be a Landlord, property manager, or their authorized agents with tenants that meet program eligibility included below.
- The RRP will provide financial assistance on behalf of renters who meet the following criteria:
- Have a valid lease in their name;
- Have experienced a loss of income due to the Coronavirus pandemic including but not limited to:
- Those who have been laid off;
- Those whose place of employment has closed;
- Those who have experienced a reduction in hours of work;
- Those who must stay home to care for children due to closure of day care and/or school;
- Those who have lost child or spousal support;
- Those who have not been able to work or missed hours due to contracting COVID-19;
- Those who have been unable to find work due to COVID-19; or
- Those whose are unwilling or unable to participate in their previous employment due to their high risk of severe illness from COVID-19;
- Have a rent amount that is at or below 150% Fair Market Rent (FMR) based on unit size and location and Have a gross household income equal to or less than 80% Area Median Income adjusted for household size and location (supporting documentation required).
- The determination of income includes any unemployment insurance received by a member of the household but does not include one-time payments such as a stimulus check. Income limits are available via the following link: https://www.vhda.com/BusinessPartners/PropertyOwnersManagers/Pages/RRP.aspx
- In the event funds are insufficient to fund all eligible applications, prioritization will be given to households with incomes less than 50% area median income and to households with one or more members that have been unemployed for at least 90 days.
Terms and Conditions
Rent includes fees and utilities that are charged to the tenant as part of the rent and listed within the lease agreement.
- Rent may include late charges if such charges are set forth in the Lease and were permissible under the Emergency Rental Assistance (ERA) program and the American Rescue Plan and applicable state law at the time they were incurred.
- Current month’s rent is determined based on the date in which the application and all documentation has been verified by Virginia Housing.
- If verified after the 15th day of the month, RRP funds may also be used for the upcoming month’s rent.
- To receive payments under the RRP, landlord must:
(i) agree not to evict the renter for non-payment of rent associated with any of the months for which the rent relief payment is made; and
(ii) if tenant owes past due rent prior to April 1, 2020, the landlord must work with the tenant to develop an appropriate payment plan.
- Neither tenant or landlord may be receiving other rental assistance from federal, state or local rental assistance program for the period for which RRP is requested for the tenant.
- Landlord or authorized agent must submit such documentation as is necessary, as determined by Virginia Housing, to evidence ownership of the rental property, agency relationship between landlord and authorized agent (if applicable), and a bona fide lease with tenant.
The award period is May 1, 2021 – December 31, 2021
- Landlord or authorized agents will be required to maintain supporting documentation for 5 years