Applicants for the HCE Program MUST Complete and Submit the Combined Housing Counseling Application to be Considered for Funding
VHDA Housing Counseling and Education Grant
REACH Virginia FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: VHDA reinvests a portion of our net revenues into Virginia’s communities through REACH Virginia (Resources Enabling Affordable Community Housing in Virginia). This is a multifaceted resource that VHDA uses to support vital housing initiatives through our Homeownership, Rental and Community Outreach programs.
The intent of Housing Counseling and Education (HCE) Grant is to fund HUD-approved Housing Counseling Programs to educate families and individuals in order to help them make smart decisions regarding improving their housing situation and meeting the responsibilities of tenancy and homeownership. VHDA grant funds must supplement an agency’s housing counseling program, and not be the sole source of funding.
- HUD Approved Local Housing Counseling Agencies, HUD Approved Participating Housing Counseling Agencies, HUD Approved Multi-State Organizations doing business in Virginia, or National intermediaries with Virginia branches are eligible to apply.
- Agency must be in good standing with both the VHDA HUD Housing Counseling and Education Grant and the FY19 VHDA Housing Counseling and Education Grant.
Approved agencies must comply with the VHDA HCE Handbook and the HUD Housing Counseling Handbook. Agencies also have an opportunity to participate in VHDA’s Credit Improvement Focus Area.
Click on the attachments in the opportunity section of this funding opportunity to access the HCE handbook for a detailed explanation of the scope of housing counseling and group education services allowed under this funding opportunity, disbursement and reporting requirements.
The period of performance for this funding opportunity is July 1, 2020 - June 30, 2021.
Agencies seeking funding should apply to VHDA’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) using VHDA’s Grants Management System at https://vhdagrants.com. For questions concerning this program or assistance with application submission, contact Frank Curbeira, Strategic Housing Officer, at (804) 343-5818.
- Housing Counseling and Education Goals
- Proposed Budget - Proposed HCE budgets may be up to $70,000. Awards are based on the availability of VHDA funding.
- Agency authorized official certification
- Approval of Local or Participating HUD Housing Counseling Agency status
- Travel policy
- Indirect cost rate documentation
Selected agencies will receive a Grant Award Notification (GAN) and an addendum to their Grant Agreement if approved for funds under the award. Agencies must return the signed addendum to VHDA with signature by an authorized representative.
All applicants have the option to submit a request at firstname.lastname@example.org for a debriefing within thirty (30) days of approval or denial.