Notice of Funding Opportunity:
VHDA Community Impact Grant - Community Engaged Planning
REACH Virginia FUNDING OPPORTUNITY: VHDA reinvests a portion of our net revenues into Virginia’s communities through REACH Virginia (Resources Enabling Affordable Community Housing in Virginia). This is a multifaceted resource that VHDA uses to support vital housing initiatives through our Homeownership, Rental and Community Outreach programs.
The Community Engaged Planning program supports the research of and education concerning land use and development within a locality by nonprofits, neighborhoods groups and local governments in order to encourage community voice in the development process. Funding may be used to hold input sessions in order to get community feedback prior to the implementation of a new project and for the creation of community proposals in relation to land use or development.
Awards are based on the degree to which proposals mitigate negative community impact, such as displacement or lack of affordable housing; community engagement; a locality’s readiness to engage in revitalization efforts; and the availability of VHDA funding. Awards will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis.
Requests for Funding
Requests for funds under the Community Engaged Planning Community Impact Grant must fall within one of the following objectives. VHDA reserves the right to reject funding requested for any applications that are outside the focus areas listed below:
- Community Input Session- Meetings, prior to implementation, facilitated by the organization to gather feedback and collect diverse viewpoints about the proposed development through conversations with members of the community in which the development will be located.
- Neighborhood Community Planning- The creation of a land use proposal developed as a collaborative neighborhood effort in order to provide local government with rezoning solutions that support affordable housing.
In order to be eligible for funds under the Community Engaged Planning Community Impact Grant, organizations must be a non-profit organization or local government and:
- Be physically located in Virginia.
- Have at minimum three (3) years of operations.
- Carry out at least one of the following housing-related focuses:
- Creating economically integrated and inclusive housing opportunities including housing options for people with disabilities.
- Planning and Community Development to include significant attention to housing planning.
- Providing services and/or educational opportunities in order to further affordable housing.
- Align with VHDA’s mission of Helping Virginians Attain Quality, Affordable Housing and align with VHDA's Strategic Direction.
- Approved agencies must comply with the VHDA Community Impact Grant Handbook. Click the document below for a detailed explanation of the scope, disbursement, and reporting requirements.
- The budget and period of performance for this grant is twelve (12) months from grant award. The approved organization must be able to submit a report detailing results before the last day of the period of performance.
- Emerging organizations are not eligible.
For questions concerning this program or assistance with application submission, contact Matthew Bolster, Strategic Housing Office, at (804) 343-5631 or Matthew.Bolster@vhda.com. All applications must be submitted electronically using the VHDA Grants Management System.
- The proposed budget may not exceed $50,000.
- The following must be attached to the application:
o Agency authorized official certification
o Nonprofit Determination or proof of eligibility if governmental
o Organizational Chart
o Prior year’s audited financial statements, or prior year’s reviewed financial statements or two years of financial statements
o Letter of support from locality (Planning or Community Development Department)
Funds will be awarded based on an assessment of the organization’s application and the availability of VHDA funds.
The selected organization will receive a Grant Award Notification (GAN) and a Grant Agreement if approved for funds under the award.
All applicants have the option to submit a request at firstname.lastname@example.org for a debriefing within thirty (30) days of approval or denial.