Notice of Funding Opportunity:
VHDA Capacity Building Grant Tier 1
REACH Virginia FUNDING OPPORTUNITIY: VHDA reinvests a portion of our net revenues into Virginia’s communities through REACH Virginia (Resources Enabling Affordable Community Housing in Virginia). This is a multifaceted resource that VHDA uses to support vital housing initiatives through our Homeownership, Rental and Community Outreach programs.
The intent of the Tier 1 Capacity Building Grant is to fund non-profit organizations and developers within the housing network to support the development of a Strategic Plan or Succession Management Plan to aid in expanding efficiency and effectiveness of programs.
- Organization’s headquarters must be physically located in Virginia.
- Organization cannot be an emerging organization. Organization must have:
Organization must carry out at least one of the following housing-related mission:
- At minimum, three years of operations.
- Engaged leadership, staff, and volunteers.
- Ability to demonstrate fiscal soundness and measurable program outcomes.
Organization must align with VHDA’s mission of Helping Virginians Attain Quality, Affordable Housing and vision of becoming the Leading Mobilizing Force for Affordable Housing in Virginia.
- Creating economically integrated and inclusive housing opportunities including affordable housing, workforce housing, mixed-income housing, and/or community-based housing options for people with disabilities and/or
- Planning and Community Development to include significant attention to housing planning needs throughout Virginia, and/or
- Providing services and/or educational opportunities in order to further affordable housing.
Approved agencies must comply with the VHDA Capacity Building Handbook. Click the document below for a detailed explanation of the scope, disbursement, and reporting requirements.
The period of performance for this funding opportunity is twelve (12) months following award.
This plan is a high-level blueprint for ongoing activities and processes that organizations use to coordinate and align resources and actions throughout an organization systematically. The following components must be included in the final strategic planning deliverable:
1. Mission statement - The mission statement is your purpose and what you seek to accomplish and the manner in which the organization aims to achieve it.
2. Vision statement – The vision statement is what the organization is to become in the future.
3. Values statement/Guiding principles - These statements are enduring, passionate, distinctive core beliefs, and guiding principles that are part of your strategic foundation.
4. SWOT - A SWOT is a summarized view of your current position, specifically your strengths, weaknesses, opportunities, and threats.
5. Competitive advantage – The competitive advantage includes what you’re best at compared to the competition.
6. Short-term goals/priorities/initiatives - These items convert the strategic objectives into specific performance targets that fall within the one- to two-year time horizon. They state what, when, and who and are measurable.
7. Long-term objectives - These long-term strategic focus areas span a threeyear (or more) time horizon. They answer the question of what you must focus on to achieve your vision.
8. Action items - These specific statements explain how a goal will be accomplished. They’re the areas that move the strategy to operations and are executed by teams or individuals within one to two years.
9. Scorecard tools – The scorecard to report the data of your key performance indicators (KPIs) and track your performance against the monthly targets.
10. Financial Assessment - Based on historical records and future projections, an assessment statement that plans and predicts the future, controls over your organization’s financial performance.
Succession Management Plan
This plan identifies the development of potential successors for key positions in an organization, through a systematic evaluation process and training. The following components must be included in the final succession planning deliverable:
1. Active Leadership Involvement – Organizational leadership is actively managing this strategic initiative.
2. Integration with your strategic plan - Succession planning cannot operate in a vacuum while strategic methods cannot be achieved without talent.
3. Processes to identify essential positions and their critical competencies—Basic steps for the process.
4. Procedures to identify, promote, and select “high potentials”— Outlining individual career ladder development if applicable.
5. Integration of individual development plan utilizing training, coaching, mentoring and appraisals—Identifying the essentials of a good performance management plan.
6. Methods to identify gaps in succession - Determining how to build internal strength or the need to recruit externally.
7. Plan Evaluation Process- Succession planning must be ongoing and not an annual look-see.
Agencies seeking funding should apply to VHDA’s Notice of Funding Opportunity (NOFO) using VHDA’s Grants Management System at https://vhdagrants.com/. For questions concerning this program or assistance with application submission, contact Frank Curbeira, Strategic Housing Officer, at (804) 343-5818.
- Proposed Budget - Maximum request allowed is $20,000 (Awards are based on the availability of VHDA funding. Funds will be granted on a first-come, first-served basis)
- Agency authorized official certification
- Org Chart
- 501(c)3 determination letter or State Corporation Commission Certification
- Most recent strategic plan
- Resume of board members, executive director, and senior managers
- Consultant Documents
- State Corporation Commission ID Number
- D&B Basic Report
- 2 letters of reference
Funds will be awarded based on an assessment of the agency’s application and the availability of VHDA funds.
Selected agencies will receive a Grant Award Notification (GAN) and a Grant Agreement if approved for funds under the award. Agencies must return the signature page of the Grant Agreement to VHDA with signature by an authorized representative.
All applicants have the option to submit a request at email@example.com for a debriefing within thirty (30) days of approval or denial.
Web-Ex Presentation Application Overview
Application Due Date & Time
May 31, 2020; 11:59 PM
Award Announcements (subject to change)
Within 60 days of application submission